Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Welcome Darth!


Car-man earned this helmet by not talking about Star Wars for three plus hours at a waterpark this summer. . .if you know anything about autism, you know that is not an easy task! Luckily, I ended up finding this one on E-bay for about 10 bucks and not the $80 plus that came up in my initial search, so I could follow through on my hastily made promise - it never occurred to me when I made it that he could actually do it!
Yes, the reward only fueled the Star Wars fever (but I have to admit the mask is very cool and we all like playing with it, especially when it says "You DON'T know the POWER of the DARK side". . .which Car-man quickly follows with "Don't worry mom, it's just me!"), but I was amazed at the control Car-man had over his obssessive talk when he was motivated enough. . .I also felt sad when I thought about how hard that control had probably been for him. There's a fine line between accepting him for who he is, and wanting him to fit in and function with all the other kids. . .luckily, this is one obsession that lots of kids share, so I don't mind if Darth lives with us for quite a while!

No comments: