Wednesday, November 19, 2008

It's hard to say good-bye

Backpacker's first baby was finally hauled away and donated to a worthy cause after sitting in our driveway for two years, unable to start. . .he was at work, so he didn't have to see it up on the truck, being driven away.


We dated and drove away from our wedding in the Jeep, and back forth cross country many times through all different terrains and weather. . .we ran out of gas many times in it as well! It took me to work in Oregon while Backpacker rode his bike and we paid off all our debts (thanks Dave Ramsey and Grandpa R). A lot of our friends (maybe reading this now!) have ridden in this car and right now are saying "I can't believe they still had that Jeep! (I've been saying the same thing for several years!:) In the end, its ceiling was held up with straight pins and we kept the back stocked with all its fluids because it leaked so badly. . .it couldn't pass emissions, but Backpacker drove it anyway sometimes. . .(shhh!) So now we're down to the very responsible and family friendly minivan and Honda Accord (it's got a lot of miles, but it's still truckin'!) - pretty much nothing that fun to drive. . .but I'm hoping that one day Backpacker will have another vehicle with big tires and four wheel drive to drive over snowbanks and curbs with - we have two boys that I'm pretty sure would enjoy that too!






5 comments:

Kelley said...

That is too funny! For some reason, I recently thought about the time we ran out of gas in the Jeep, driving back to Corvallis from Junction City. We were lucky it died in front of a farm house, and someone was home and had a gas can! You have my condolences.

We just sold a very old, grey van that was given to us soon after Jilly was born. It was a momentous occasion, and I keep meaning to post the last picture of the van. I have to say, there was no mourning, just relief, to see this one go! It served us well, but was a beast.

laura said...

Very sweet. :)

Anonymous said...

I have tears in my eyes while I read this.

Amy Glorioso May said...

So cute! The Jeep's one last gift to you will be the tax write off it brings in a few months! ;)

hokieflag said...

Wow, I can't believe it's gone. I remember decorating the Jeep on your wedding day. It has taken you both so far and I'm sure it was hard to part with.