Sunday, May 23, 2010

From a parent. . .


(I got this from one of my "autism mommy" friends and I thought it was so good, I'd share it here. . .it's not only applicable for teacher and doctors, but for friends and extended family members of parents of children with special needs.)

From a Parent

Be Gentle with Me - I may be grieving (especially at first). I may need time to accept, then hurt over, the loss of the "normal" child I thought I would have.

Be Patient with Me - Remember that I have as many as 4 to 20 professionals telling me what I need to do to help my child. It's often overwhelming.

Respect Me - You are the expert in therapy, medicine, or education. I am the expert on my child.

Listen to Me - I spend hours thinking about ways to make life better for my child. I generally know if something won't work at all. I have a lot of good ideas. I read a lot, too.

Encourage Me - Take the time to tell me what I'm doing right. I never feel like I'm doing enough. Point out even the smallest progress you see, because sometimes small progress is all there is to keep me trying.

Understand Me - Understand that as hard as things get sometimes, I would not trade this precious person and all he adds to my life and family for a normal child. He is special, as all children are special, and I know that, even when I'm struggling.

Remember Me - If I burn out, I can't change my job. No one else will step in and take over for me. I am in this for the long haul, so I need to pace myself.

Thank You - Thank you for choosing to be a part of my child's life. Thank you for your patience and dedication. Thank you for caring.

-
Robin Prince Monroe
















3 comments:

laura said...

This is so good. Thanks.

Jen said...

I would add the grieving part returns over and over as you hit each new age/stage and realize all over again all the ways your child will not be like everyone else. Thanks for putting this one up.

Luanne said...

Can I just say--I love this picture, and I love the insight in this post.